Monday, December 17, 2012

Late for the Parade


Here is my entry for Susanna Hill's Holiday Contest...
 
Rolling through the doorway on her six foot unicycle, Becca Elf hopped off the front stoop and pedaled toward the street. She turned onto the sidewalk and raced downtown. Becca was late for the Sleetville Holiday Day parade and didn’t want to worry her little elf, Eli. As she sped to the tracks, the gates went down forcing her screech to a halt and then pivot back and forth to stay on her perch.

HONK HONK went the train as it passed Becca. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 cars and a caboose chugged by before the gates went up.

Becca bumped across the tracks barely staying on her seat and heard a sound in the distance.

BOOM BOOM BOOM went the drums.

“Oh No! The parade is starting!” she yelled to the air. Becca righted her elf hat and pushed her pointy shoes against the pedals as quickly as she could.

“Where’s my elf?” asked Santa from his perch upon his sleigh on his float.

“Mom?!” called Eli.

Becca couldn’t hear Santa or Eli but she was nearby and working too hard to announce that she was on her way.

BOOM BOOM BOOM went the drums.

Santa’s float rolled across the intersection to begin the parade.

“Excuse me! Excuse me!” called Becca to the crowd who was pushing toward the curb to see Santa.

“Let her through!” squeaked a very little girl sitting on the shoulders of a very wide man.

The people parted  and Becca rolled through the crowd. As she bumped over the curb, her wheel hit a purse strap and…

“Oh NO!” yelled Becca

She twisted, she turned, she fell into the street. CRASH!

“Get up!” yelled a small round boy.

“Mom!” called Eli.

“Someone help her!” yelled the woman with the purse who’s face was quite red.

“I’m okay,” announced Becca standing and picking up her unicycle. She placed her right foot on her wheel and with two more steps and a slide of her seat, she was pedaling toward Santa.

“Hooray!” yelled the crowd.

“Hooray!” called Eli.

“Ho-Ho-Hooray!” called Santa as the parade began.

14 comments:

  1. What a totally fun idea, Alison! A unicycling elf and a Christmas parade? Very original and creative! I'm so glad you entered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable idea Alison. An elf on a unicycle -- very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this a true story?! I would love to find out you have a unicycling habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha. Um...yes. I rode a unicycle or walked on stilts in the holiday parade down Michigan Avenue for several years. : ) Oh, and yes, I did land on a woman when I tripped over her purse strap during a circus performance. I sort of merged a few different things together for this short story.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I was just going to ask if you have ridden a unicycle. How cool! That makes for a very original story. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a Christmas parade in town, but we didn't make it this year. I wonder if there was a unicycling elf... Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm... I tried to comment earlier, but commenting anywhere isn't working well for me today. Here I go again.

    This was such a great story -- and knowing that it's based on real life experiences makes it extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an original idea! I love the image of the unicycling elf :) And based on real life? Even better! Who knew you could take those experiences and some day turn them into a children's story?

    Maria @novalibrarymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, the unicycle, a particularly intriguing Christmas conveyance! Funny story, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad the elf was reunited in time with Santa, Allison! :) Great story...lots of fun...filled with tension...will she get there in time???? Ho Ho Hooray!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute story! Love the unicycle story line!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wished I could ride a unicycle. Fun story, Allison!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute story. I love the unique combination of unicycle, elf, and parade!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute story! And I love that it is based on your own experience :-)

    ReplyDelete