Tuesday, November 6, 2012

SkADaMo & PiBoIdMo 2012


In 2011, I participated in PiBoIdMo - Picture Book Idea Month during the month of November while the better known NaNoWriMo was going on. NaNo challenges writers to complete 50,000 words in a month. Since this isn't really applicable to those of us who write picture books, chapter books, or even mid-grade novels, Tara Lazar created a challenge geared toward us. PiBo challenges writers and illustrators to come up with 30 book ideas in 30 days. We aren't expected to write it (can work on some of them during Paula Yoo's NaPiBoWriWee in May) but we do write a line, an outline, a concept, a pitch, or illustrate a scene - whatever wraps up a picture book concept for that individual.

When I come up with concepts, I often doodle my idea so that I don't lose the visual of the story idea. Yesterday, I learned about SkADaMo which is Sketch a Day Month - also happening in November. It lines up very nicely with PiBoIdMo and since I often create a doodle anyway, this year I am attempting both challenges at the same time.

Today is day 6 so here are my first 6 sketches:

SkADaMo 6 - Ant Boat
 
SkADaMo 5 - Meeting Mike
 
SkADaMo 4 - After T&Ting
 
 
 
 
 
SkADaMo 3 - Dog Wash
 
SkADaMo 2 - The Storm
 
 
SkADaMo 1 - Swinging Trapeze
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Wow I've just been doing little line sketches under my ideas, seems I need to step it up a bit, These are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! awesome.... and these are "doodles"? Clearly I need some doodle practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent...keep on sharing. I love this and I may even find an idea or two from some of your art :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dog wash illustration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I wish I could draw. Wonderful^!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are fabulous, Alison! i especially love Dog Wash, After T&Ting and Ant Boat - so much scope for story! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete